If you are looking for a highly emotional family-themed game, consider It Takes Two. This co-op game allows players to overcome challenges in life together, learning to empathize and love each other more. The game is filled with symbolic imagery carrying profound messages that require thoughtful interpretation.
WHAT IS IT TAKES TWO?
It Takes Two is a puzzle-adventure game with action elements, standing out as an excellent co-op game in the early months of 2021. The game is available on popular platforms, including PC and various consoles, making it easily accessible for those eager to explore and experience it.
Released around the same time as the game Subverse, It Takes Two cleverly captured players’ hearts by hitting the right emotional notes: it is easy to play, listen to, and look at. The game presents a balanced challenge, not too easy to breeze through a level, yet not overly difficult to require intense effort.
1. Game Information
- Genre: Adventure
- Mode: Multiplayer
- Graphics: 3D
- Publisher: Electronic Arts
- Platform: Windows
- Age Rating: 12 and above
- Release Date: 26/03/2021
- Price: Free-to-play
In the adventure game It Takes Two, players follow the story of Cody and May, a married couple facing the threat of a broken marriage. Cody believes May is solely focused on work, neglecting the family, while May feels Cody never supports her in her endeavors. This situation deeply affects their daughter, Rose, who creates two wooden dolls resembling her parents, hoping they would understand her feelings.
Unexpectedly, Cody and May are magically transformed into the dolls created by Rose. Before they can comprehend what is happening, they encounter a talking book named Dr. Hakim. Claiming to be a love expert, Dr. Hakim promises to help them restore family happiness. With Dr. Hakim’s guidance, Cody and May embark on a journey full of challenges to break the curse.
The gameplay of It Takes Two is outstanding, requiring players to collaborate closely. The split-screen format is unique, demanding players to pay attention to their own game environment. The game encourages players to communicate, strategize, and enjoy the experience together. The challenges and puzzles are well-designed, fostering teamwork and creating memorable moments.
3.1. Split-Screen Gameplay
It Takes Two features a split-screen gameplay style, not commonly seen in console games. However, this innovative approach, previously successful in games like A Way Out and Brothers from Hazelight Studios, proves effective. Players need to manage their attention between the two screens, initially causing some confusion but leading to an immersive and enjoyable cooperative experience.
The game includes various objectives such as:
- PvE (Player versus Environment): Cody and May engage in combat with computer-generated characters. For instance, in the “Squirrel Fight” level on an airplane, Cody pilots the plane while May attacks the squirrel adversary.
- Cooperation: Cody and May must collaborate to solve challenges, like the “Hit the Fuse Box” level where May controls a giant matchbox, and Cody, sitting inside it, aims to fly towards distant fuses.
- Versus: Cody and May confront each other to resolve pre-existing conflicts, exemplified in the “Whack-a-Mole” game. May wields a giant hammer and stands on a box with four holes, trying to hit Cody as he pops out. If May hits him, she earns points, and vice versa.
- Obstacle Course: The couple faces obstacle courses to complete missions, as seen in the “Gearbox” game, where they use jumping and bouncing skills to overcome giant floating gears.
The game features several characters:
- Cody: May’s husband and Rose’s father. He often complains about May’s focus on work, believing she neglects the family.
- May: Cody’s wife and Rose’s mother. She criticizes Cody for his lack of skill and understanding of her work.
- Rose: The daughter of Cody and May, who created the two wooden dolls.
- Cody/May Dolls: The dolls enchanted by Rose, causing Cody and May to be drawn into them and face various challenges.
- Dr. Hakim: The imaginary book created by Rose, symbolizing her desire for family connection. Dr. Hakim assigns tasks to Cody and May.
3.4. Supportive Items
Key items include:
- The Hammer: Used by Cody along with nails. The hammer is utilized for swinging and clinging to ropes, while the nails are driven into wooden surfaces, creating support points for May.
- Water Gun: Used by May to transform seeds into healthy plants, creating new paths for Cody to navigate challenges.
3.5. Additional Features
Other features in It Takes Two include:
- Boss Battles: After overcoming challenges, Cody and May face and defeat powerful bosses with remarkable strength and speed.
- Flying a Plane: The couple collaborates in flying a plane through the sky.
- Spider Riding: Enhances character movement speed and allows climbing walls.
- Monster Shooting: Cody and May control a machine together to shoot at a horde of monsters.
4. Simple and Bright Graphics
It Takes Two adopts simple yet vibrant graphics that are easy to comprehend and embrace. While maintaining a 3D visual style, the game employs a restrained approach, ensuring players feel a light, non-intense, and enjoyable visual experience. The color palette is lively, creating a feeling of stepping into a charming animated world.
However, do not be misled by the cute appearance; the game’s puzzle-solving gameplay requires quick reflexes and effective coordination. Contrasting the bright visuals is the challenging puzzle-solving aspect, demanding players to think fast and coordinate seamlessly with their teammate to complete tasks.
The background music enhances the overall gaming experience. The soundtrack includes lively and melodic tunes, transitioning into tense and suspenseful melodies during dangerous situations. This dynamic audio design keeps players focused and alert to unfolding events.
The game also pays attention to sound effects for objects in the environment. Each material produces sounds that match its characteristics when interacted with, contributing to the overall immersive experience.
5. Detailed System Requirements
System requirements for It Takes Two:
- Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit/Windows 10 64-bit
- CPU: Intel Core i3-2100T or AMD FX 6100
- RAM: 8GB
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660/AMD R7 260x
- Storage: 50GB available
- DirectX: Version 11
Aside from the extensive dialogues, It Takes Two impresses in every aspect. The seemingly straightforward and charming game conceals many messages about understanding, empathy, and the importance of unity in modern-day living. This review provides a comprehensive perspective on It Takes Two, hoping to guide you in enjoying the game comfortably with your loved ones.
Link to Play Game: Game Link